Liontaur Subraces [17 January 07] A flavor for every taste.
There is a tradition in Dungeons and Dragons of creating variations on the basic character races, from the Tolkien-inspired halfling subraces (hairfoots, tallfellows, and stouts) to the many elf derivitives (drow and grugach are a couple of the more extreme). Well, liontaurs deserve no less, I say, and the Dungeon Master's Guide is ready to help me out. Check out page 170 for some excellent advice on creating subraces. Using this as my guide, I've created a few for liontaurs. Enjoy.
Plains Liontaurs -- These stock liontaurs are the baseline race from which other subraces are derived. If no subrace is specified, assume that a liontaur you meet is a plains liontaur.
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength, -2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence
- Size: Large
- Low-light vision
- Natural AC: +1
- Natural Attacks: Standard attack -- paw for 1d4 or by weapon. Full attack -- paw (full BAB) /paw(full BAB) or weapon (full BAB) /paw (-5) /paw (-5).
- Speed: 40 feet
- Skills: +1 racial bonus with Survival, Jump, Balance, Hide, and Move Silently; -2 with Swim
- Free Racial Feat: Toughness
- Automatic Languages: Liontaur, accented Common
- Literacy: Must spend two skill points to learn to read.
- Favored Class: Ranger
Steppes Liontaurs -- Cold steppes and windy tundra are home for the liontaurs who hunt caribou and reindeer. They live close to nature -- they have to, given the harshness of the environment. Treat them like plains liontaurs, except:
- +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma -- Steppes liontaurs are tougher than other liontaurs, and they have more common sense, but they are stoic, unsociable, and less nimble.
- Skills: +2 with Survival; +1 with Listen and Spot; -2 with Swim
- Free Racial Feat: Endurance
- Favored Class: Druid
Savannah Liontaurs -- These liontaurs live in tropical grasslands and hunt big game. They are more sex-differentiated than other liontaurs. Females are the hunters. Young males try to survive on their own to 6th level (though few do), when they can attract a pride of females with their racial Leadership feat. Older males (those that survive) lounge around and guard the pride. Treat them like plains liontaurs, except:
- Female Skills: +1 with Hide rises to +5 in grasslands and plains; +2 with Survival; +1 with Jump and Move Silently; -2 with Swim
- Female Free Racial Feat: Run
- Female Favored Class: Ranger
- Male Skills: +2 with Intimidate; +1 with Jump; -2 with Swim
- Male Free Racial Feat: Leadership (gained at level 6)
- Male Favored Class: Barbarian
Mountain Liontaurs -- These sure-footed liontaurs are small and slow, but graceful and steady. They average about 3.5-4.5 feet tall and 6-7 feet long. They are solitary and tend to pair-bond rather than group in prides with one male and several females. The animals they hunt and herd -- bighorn sheep, mountain goats -- are smaller and scarcer in the heights compared, say, with buffalo in the plains. Mountain liontaurs often ambush prey, firing arrows from high places, focusing on a single target. When they do gather in groups, they tend to extort high tolls of those who travel through their passes and mountain valleys. Treat them like plains liontaurs, except:
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom -- Mountain liontaurs are tough and agile, but not as strong as their brethren. They are conservative, slow to change, and superstitious.
- Size: Medium
- Speed: 30 feet
- Skills: +2 with Move Silent, Hide, Climb, Jump, and Balance.
- Free Racial Feat: Martial Weapon Proficiency (Long Bow)
- Favored Class: Rogue